One of the country’s biggest hospital shake-ups is 'deeply flawed' and should be halted immediately, according to a landmark report from the Independent Healthcare Commission chaired by Michael Mansfield QC.
This report concerns the "Shaping a Healthier Future" programme in the NHS North West London region, which amounts to the "Largest hospital closure programme London has ever seen".
Readers who have been following the saga of the threats to St Helier Hospital will recognise how similar Shaping a Healthier Future sounds to the now largely discredited Better Services Better Value - the coincidences do not end there.
Before he took on the role as Chief Executive of the Epsom and St Helier trust, Daniel Elkeles was the Senior Responsible Officer for the Shaping a Healthier Future programme.
The conclusions of this damning report include:
- Cutbacks are being targeted on the most deprived communities
- The public consultation was inadequate and flawed
- The escalating cost of the programme (£1bn) does not represent value for money and is a waste of precious public resources
- There is no business plan to show the reconfiguration is affordable or deliverable
- NHS facilities have been closed without adequate alternative provision being put in place
- The plans seriously underestimate the increasing size of the population in North West London and fail to address the increasing need for services.
You may also read the article on the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham website by clicking here